Library 2.0

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Wikis

I have already used Wikis before. Previously I held a voluntary position as with an International Aid Agency. We were all members of our own wiki site where we kept documents that any member of the committee could edit. We also kept a 'central filing cabinet' where minutes of meetings, policies, etc. could be accessed.

I do like the idea of a new wikipedia where only experts can change and update data (I think it's called Community wiki). I think Wikipedia is a great idea but too open to those who wish to make changes that are not necessarily correct.

Libraries could use wikis for users to review books, add data such as sales rankings of items. Word of mouth and peer recommendation is more powerful than librarian recommendation (at least in schools where I used to work) and a library wiki using reviews would be a great starting point for someone wanting to read something, but not sure what to select.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home